Thursday, October 06, 2005

Real Knitting Content, For A Change

Survivor Update!

I have to admit that I haven’t been enjoying Survivor as much this season. Maybe it’s just getting a little old. But old, schmold, Fleece Artist sock yarn is at stake!! The Survivor Contest is just gearing up, no one has been right so far, the field is still wide open! Just leave a comment, tell me what you will be knitting, and who you think will be voted off.

I going to stick with last week's vote of Stephanie, and to see what I’ll be knitting, read on.

Last week we had a one-day cold snap here in Chicagoland. It was about 60 degrees, excellent weather for that Perfect Little Something.

I wore this.


*Warning: 4 year old photographer at work*

Here's a better shot:


Manos Cotton Stria, great yarn, cute pattern, but bad marriage of yarn, style and my body type. This is NOT “That Perfect Little Something”. It turns out, I don’t have That Perfect Little Something. A nice lightweight little something, something chic but comfy.

In search of the P.L.S., I cast on the Garden Party Shawl from Two Old Bags.


I bought the pattern at Stitches. With all due respect the two old bags, the picture on the pattern front does not do justice to the beauty of this simple shawl. In fact, I wouldn’t have given it a second glance if it were not being modeled by one of the Old Bags herself (who IMO, was not old, nor was she baggy.)

Now I’ve knit one shawl before, its a big triangle knit with bulky yarn. I know that shawls require a lot of stitches. I understand the concept that, if I’m using DK yarn for this one, it would require a WHOLE LOT MORE stitches.

So, I start with twenty-something stitches at the neck area, and knit down. The rows get bigger and bigger and slower and slower. I am now about ¾ through the shawl, and I have over 350 stitches on my needles. Then, get this. There’s a ruffle. Oh yeah, ruffles use a lot of stitches, don’t they? Well, after giving a precise stitch count after every row, the Old Bags now tell you “don’t do the math, it’s too overwhelming.” As far as I’m concerned, they might as well have sent me an engraved invitation to do the math.


So here I am at the ruffle, with already over 350 stitches on the needle, and I’m supposed to freakin KFB (knit into the front and back of EVERY stitch), and then knit back across that row. Then, lather, rinse, and repeat.

Are you ready to do the math with me? Hold your breath.

350 stitches.

KFB every stitch= 700 stitches.

K back across. (700 sts)

Again, KFB every (freakin) stitch= 1,400 stitches.

K back across (1,400 stitches)

Bind off 1,400 stitches.

Will you please pause with me now, for a moment of silence?

Thank you.
Posted by Picasa

5 Comments:

Blogger Lauren said...

I'm going with Margaret to get the axe this time. This season has been SO physical. I liked it a little more when it was primarily psychological.

11:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know I won't be watching but I WANT the Yarn! I will be knitting a sock at a concert in the city. Emily, Emily, Emily you must do the Lucy Neatby cast off. Just learned it this weekend from her! If you don't know it e-mail me. It will cut your cast off in half! ( Must win Yarn)

11:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fingerless gloves and Lydia once again!!

2:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brandon is bugging me but I'm going with Judd. Of course, it dawned on me last week that these *pre-merge* predictions are a little bit of a crap shoot, since even if your choice is the most annoying person, they may be on the winning immunity-challenge team and there you go. Fun of the game!
Finished shawl last night. May be perusing books and mags for new sock pattern.

6:40 PM  
Blogger Zarzuela said...

HOLY COW!! That's a lot of stitches! You are much better than me. Upon knowing that I probably would have put it away and forgot I ever knew about it! ;)

Jessica
http://zarzuela.blogspot.com

5:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home