Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Happy Thanksgiving

Yesterday, Ethan's teacher asked him what he would be eating for Thanksgiving.

"Chips." Was his reply.

Well nominate me for for the Mother of the Year award, I'm feeding my kids potato chips for Thanksgiving dinner.

Actually, I have been assigned the "snack" category for the weekend, and the chips he was referring to is the gargantuan bag that has been sitting in our entryway for 2 days, that I have ordered everyone to not-open-under-penalty-of-death. I was done with my food shopping this weekend, no way was I going to brave the grocery at the last minute.

Turns out, I forgot I'm also supposed to bring my famous creamed spinach (Burt Wolf's famous, in reality) and I forgot to buy the spinach. I'll be the crazy lady in the grocery the afternoon before Thanksgiving, waiting in line for an hour with 3 kids in tow. Oh well.

So, just in case you are searching for that one last side dish that adds a bit of green to the table, I will share with you the Best Creamed Spinach, Ever.

3 boxes frozen spinach
3 T salted butter (don't you dare use anything fake like margarine or worse)
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic--make those big-a$$ cloves, minced
pinch nutmeg (must be fresh grated. Seriously.)
1 c heavy cream (for ordinary dinners at home I use half and half--but for a dinner party I go all out)
1/3 to 1/2 c grated parmesan cheese (must be freshly grated or those flakes you get in the refridgerated section. No sawdust powder from the green can. Seriously.)
salt and pepper

Defrost spinach and drain. This takes longer than you think, like 5 minute plus for each box, I'm just warning you.
Melt butter and saute onion. Add garlic, grate in nutmeg.
Pour in cream. Simmer and reduce, it will look buttery yellow.
Add parmesan, let it melt in.
Add spinach, a little salt and pepper, combine well, and serve while hot.

This is a slight variation from this recipe here. I just eliminated the bread crumb and baking part at the end, which I don't think is necessary but you might.


Now I need to go procrastinate about the grocery trip and plan out my knitting for the weekend.

You all know I love my knitting, I love my creamed spinach too, and a good bag of potato chips. But none of that is even close. To what I'm really thankful for.










Posted by Picasa

4 Comments:

Blogger Katy said...

Mmmm, that spinach sounds good!
Hope you have a great Thanksgiving with those gorgeous kids...and that you get to eat more than chips. ;)

2:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At the T'giving thing at the kiddo's school the other day they were going around asking all of the kids what they were thankful for. Every kid said something like, "family" or "good food" or something nice and wholesome like that and my girl said "Lilo and Stitch." I feel ya.

Happy Thanksgiving!

4:58 PM  
Blogger Anna Lear said...

Your kids look wonderful! and I love creamed spinach but never had a good recipe -- thank you so much!!

4:42 PM  
Blogger Earl3d said...

Wow, Em, the kids look great!

Can we have creamed spinach at Christmas?

12:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home