Monday, November 14, 2005

Willow

I sewed up Willow this weekend. The Thaki Soho Tweed was really fragile (and bulky), so I used some spare Cascade 220 in black to do the seams.

And it fits! And the sleeve length is just right, which I was a little worried about. I have short arms and usually have to shorten a sleeve at least an inch.

The belt is done too (5 stitches of seedstitch, a mile long) and so all I have left are the front bands and the collar. The front band is one of those, that in true Rowan fashion, you knit separately and slipstitch on. I've read these instructions before: knit the front band, until "slightly stretched" it fits the front opening. I hate that "slightly stretched" part! Just give me a formula, a measurement, anything but "slightly stretched". What the heck does that mean, anyway?

And another thing, I don't know how to slipstitch. So I was ready to pick up stitches and knit the band out, using a 3 to 4 pick up ratio, instead of knitting the band separately.

And then I read further into the instructions--what a concept--and saw that I would put those four front band stitches on a holder and continue the seedstitch up the collar, as a border. And if I knit the band out horizontally by picking up the stitches, then I'd have a little seam right at the throat where I'd add on the seedstitch and it would show when the collar flipped over, instead of the nice little detail of the seedstitch band being continuous. Have I lost everyone?

So, to-do list for today: knit four stitch rows of seedstitch til I croak, then learn the mysterious slipstitch. It's in the thirties here today, and I am ready to wear this baby.
Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

Blogger Sneaksleep said...

Yup, you lost me. Sorry I can't be more help, but it's Monday, and my mind sort of froze up there. If I reread it later and have an epiphany, I'll let you know. But it's looking gorgeous, and you will too when you wear it!

10:26 AM  
Blogger Katy said...

Okay, I don't know how to slipstitch either; but how is it that someone who sews as well as you do has not run across it yet??? ;)
The sweater looks great!

2:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home