Tuesday, January 17, 2006

New Project Try-Outs

I had a bit of panic when I finished Sugar Plum on Friday night. (I just noticed on someone's blog that apparently there is a "Sugar Plum Pullover" in the recent book Handknit Holidays. Hello all you googlers! Mine is not the same. Move along now, and sorry for the confusion.) Panic because I didn't have another juicy sweater project started in the queue. I got up super early on Saturday, before the rest of the household, spread out yarn and patterns all around me, and basked in the goodness of possibility.

Here's what's cookin:















Top left, an aran raglan from Debbie Bliss's book Cotton Knits for All Seasons. I've wanted to make this for a long time, but I've put it off because there are no charts. I've gotta have me some charts.

Moving clockwise, that is a cardigan from the new VK Winter issue. (Number 12). I am determined to make that out of the Rowan Magpie I've stashed for ages. The Magpie was originally intended for the Paton's Must Have Cardigan, pictured up there on the far right. But I think this new one will be a little more flattering on me with the shawl collar, and it is pretty much the same type of sweater as the Must Have, just slightly updated.

Moving along: the Cafe Bastilles sweater from the IK Fall 03 cover, I've wanted to make for a long time, and would look good in stashed Lamb's Pride Bulky in black.

And lastly, the Harlot's Daisy sweater from Knitty. It looks brown above, but it is a soft green. It's for Sophie, and was easy to cast on and get going since there was no re-doing of measurements or math involved.

Here is what is winning:















I Love This Sweater. I charted the cables, and cast on a sleeve. So Cotton-Ease worthy, don't you think? In black. Please squint, to make out the texture, and I'm sorry. Let's hope for some sun, so I can wash this puppy out in the sunlight and show you some cables.














This one was also a serious contender, but is going to require a lot of swatching, I mean training. In a wild and crazy moment late last night, I joined up The Harlot's olympic challenge. So this one will wait for February.

Meanwhile, we'll see how far I can get with my C-E cables, before I give it over to the Olympic frenzy.

P.S. This weekend I had my good buddy Melody over for knitting and daquris, I mean, "dinner". Oh, and the Daves got to watch football. In fact, my Dave (as opposed to her Dave) thought it was his idea in the first place, to have them over for football and dinner, that's what a great job I've done of brainwashing him.

So anyway, Mel and I were knitting and discussing blogging, etc. and she said that she was thinking of doing a bio entry on each of her girlfriends in her sidebar. Little did I know that she would do me the Very Next Day. So, she has written a report about me, much more glowing than I could ever write, and if you would like to know more about me or my quilts hop on over to her blog and read her entry from yesterday (January 16th). Heck, if you are new to quilting, you need to hop on over to see HER stuff, as she is the Queen of Art Quilting, and supremely generous with her information. Thanks Mel!

5 Comments:

Blogger Lauren said...

I love all of your new projects, and the DB sweater is very C-E worthy. I started Cafe Bastilles two years ago but didn't get too far.

2:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you'll blog about knitting Cafe Bastille. It's been on my to-do list forever, and I've wondered if it would be fun to knit.

2:45 PM  
Blogger Melody Johnson said...

I am starting on the cotton Aran the minute the book arrives. I will use white cotton acrylic, scored on Ebay last year, I have a mega ton of it.
You mentioned wanting a chart and I have CHART FEAR. WE must get together on this and fix me. I never use charts on Arans as they are way to easy. Just follow your instinct and cross whenever it looks like it needs to be crossed.

7:35 AM  
Blogger Cher said...

I'm in love with that cardigan from VK as well -- but I'm trying to only knit out of the stash for the next two months, so it's not a contender at the moment. Looking forward to seeing how yours turns out!

12:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also hope you blog about Cafe Bastille. I bought the yarn and made "Simply Marilyn" instead. SM was my first cable project, I wasn't ready for CB,but it is so lovely...

1:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home