Sunday, February 12, 2006

Go Team Chicago!


Thanks Franklin, for the button!

This is what I am making for the Harlot's Olympic Games:

From Vogue Knitting, Winter 06, pattern #12.

I couldn't really take on a challenge that would require me to knit more than I already do, since I already knit as much as the law (family) will allow. I didn't want to do a technical challenge, since I knit so much around the kids, and didn't want to relegate my Olympic knitting to nights only, like I did with the Charlotte's Web Shawl.

So I decided that my challenge would be to stick to one and only one thing. Since I like to have lots of things going on at one time, this is a challenge. Especially with a cable sweater, I usually get bored and put it down about 1/2 way through.

I will need to knit about 100 yards/60 gms (remember I have my new scale!) per day to get this finished, which is a slight challenge, but I can do it, as long as I don't get distracted.

I'm using a rich aqua Rowan Magpie, well aged in the stash, which makes me happy. I'm knitting it a little looser than the gauge recommended, and it is nice and drapey. But it did take quite a bit of swatching and washing to get it right for the sweater, since it grows quite a bit in washing.


To throw a wrench into things, I have 2 different dyelots. If you squint, you can see that the 2 swatches on the bottom right are a little more yellow than the large one on the left. It's hard to tell in the ball, easier knit up. And I had lost 3 of the ball bands over the years, so I had to swatch to label the different dyelots. I still have one I can't figure out.

I hope to use the smaller lot for the sleeves, the larger lot for the fronts and back, and hope that I have enough left over that I don't have to use the mystery ball!

We kicked off the Olympic watching on Saturday afternoon with a party complete with Olympic cake:


How about a close up of that cake?! Those are the Olympic rings, in case you couldn't guess. We replaced the black ring with orange, (because who wants to eat black fruit?!)


The knitting started Friday night. I started on the back. Here it is after 2 days/200 yards/120 grams.

I'm blocking the partial back. I wanted to check my gauge, check to see if the length would grow (I neglected to record that on my swatches) and see if my ugly duckling cables would turn into beautiful swan. So far, so good.

4 Comments:

Blogger Shannon said...

The sweater looks great! I haven't calculated how much I have to knit - I just know I'm not doing it.

8:51 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

you are amazing. you must eat sleep and breath knitting.

9:20 AM  
Blogger Melody Johnson said...

O Emily how wonderful and how in the world did I miss seeing that great sweater in the VK Winter edition. Wait do I have that copy? I'll have to wait til I get home. I want this sweater!!!

10:02 AM  
Blogger Earl3d said...

What a cute picture of the kids!

11:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home