Friday, June 30, 2006

Killing Me

You guys are killing me, killing me, with all the log-cabin-ing. The Log Cabin is my favorite quilting pattern and I've loved it since I was a girl. In fact, my first quilt was a log cabin. Red, white, and blue. (Which gives you a big hint that you're gonna see a picture of it in a few days.)

Anyway. About the knitted log cabins killing me. So I went into the deepest recesses of my closet and dug out this:

Log Cabin Blocks. Circa 1999-2000. Noro Kureyon.

I was a newish knitter, with limited funds for yarn. I was also limited to making squares or rectangles. I loved garter stitch. I loooooved Kureyon. I found a library book with a log cabin baby blanket (I think it was by Lily Chin, but don't quote me on that).

Enter the perfect project. Log cabin squares out of Noro Kureyon. I could go to the store and satisfy my yarn urge with one ball of Kureyon. They didn't have to match color combinations or even dyelots. The yarn color usually changed around the same time as the "log" and if it didn't change to my satisfaction, I could spit splice.

I am suprised to find two blocks, as I only remembered making one. From the looks of them, I didn't know much about blocking back then. I guess I lost interest, or didn't know what to with them, or maybe they had just fulfilled their purpose for the time.

I have a hankering to start working on them again. My husband and I just got caught up in 24 this year (I never claim to be on the cutting edge) and have been renting the previous seasons as fast as we can. (We just finished season one, so don't tell me anything.) This feels like it would make good 24 knitting, and a nice break from socks.

I'm not sure I like them as big as the big block, but then again, big blocks mean less blocks, and less sewing together. I guess I'll just get started on the unfinished one and see where it leads. Thoughts and suggestions welcome.

And Another Thing.

Since people have asked, here's the lowdown on the merchandise.

I have several tote bags finished, and they will go on sale in Etsy the morning of July 5th. There may or may not be a few skeins of miscellaneous yarn that I didn't have skeined up in time for the last sale.

I am doing my next dyeing after the holiday, and that yarn will go on sale the morning of July 13th.

I hate setting these dates in stone; you know I have children ages 6, 4, and almost-2. But barring act of God, mother nature, or child, this is my plan.

And you will see no more Shameless Self Promotion from me until those dates.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lauren said...

Those squares are gorgeous. I think they would make perfect 24 knitting. Go Emily go!

3:49 PM  
Blogger Melody Johnson said...

What a relief to know when to expect more eye candy from you.
What is it about hand dyed wool that makes the mouth water so?
Happy 4th.

6:56 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Em, the blocks look gorgeous. I think seeing them in different sizes (like 3x3, 6x6 & 9x9's) combined into one piece would be beautiful and not so boring as knitting a bunch the same size.

6:18 PM  
Blogger Olga said...

Hey there...just stopped over from Sew? I Knit! and wanted to say hi. These comments may all seem random but here you go:

Lovely blouse! Nice modifications. I'm still too new/chicken to change anything on a sewing pattern.

You're in Chicago! (Or close by?) It's my hometown. Wish I could go to the quilt show, they all look stunning!

I am HOOKED on 24, but can't do any complicated lace knitting while watching. Otherwise mistakes will abound, and I won't be able to figure out why Kim is getting into another predicament.

Your kids are super cute!

11:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home