Friday, November 17, 2006

Mom Make-Over

Mom Make-Over does not refer to me. It is about my mom. Grandma. "Sandy". AKA "Sandy-Mom" (or sometimes even "Grandy-Mom").

Meet my mom.


My mom came up last week for the quilt show,


(additional gratuitous photo of my quilts at the show)


...and she stayed several more days to help me get organized. Which means, mom watches the kids while I tackle enormous, overly-ambitious home rennovation projects, and she cheerleads me all the way. My mom rocks.

And when she gets a little break from the kids, I can find her on her hands and knees scrubbing my bathroom floor. She's got my German-farmer-grandparent's work ethic, yes she does.

I love my mom.

And now, devilish daughter that I am, I'm going to poke fun at her.

She has this little style "quirk" that has been driving my sister and I crazy. She gets cold, and insists on wearing a cloth diaper (I use them as dish towels) around her neck like a scarf. Take a look at that top picture again. Yes. It's a diaper.

And here she is, gasp, wearing it in public!


This is all I can say about the cloth-diaper-as-scarf look:

(That's L for "loser" for any of you in foreign countries not familiar with American slang.)

I told her that under no circumstances would she wear a diaper to the quilt show. I gave her my blue Koigu scarf:

Doesn't she look dapper?!

And here's another look we tried, my Diamond Fantasy Shawl:

Gorgeous!?!

I think I convinced her, in fact, at one point I was so sure I had lured her away from the dark (diaper) side that I was a little afraid the DFS might be going home in her suitcase.

I begged and pleaded with her to help me out with some specific ideas of size, shape, and color. I hinted about Christmas. But all I got was "oh, honey, you're so busy".

I showed her this, offered another of these, or perhaps a smaller version of my this. I was relentless. I wore her down. Finally, after several rounds through the Scarf Style and Wrap Style books, I think we have settled on the "Shoulder Cozy" from Wrap Style.

I'd still like to make her something lacey. I still think she'd look awesome in the Flared Lace Smoke Ring. I might have to make one for myself so she can try it on and see.

Oh, the sacrifice.

10 Comments:

Blogger textilejunkie said...

Lol...well it looks as though you had a good time with your mom. That whole diaper thing is cracking me up.

Oh and your show quilts look awesome!

1:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Emily, your Mom's a lucky lady and you are lucky to have her. Cherish her for as long as you can.

2:55 AM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

I think a Smoke Ring or a Mobeious would be perfect for your mom. And great story about her!

7:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Crack me up! I think the diaper is a good quick improv- but the shawls and scarves DO look better! She looked GREAT with the DFS on By the way!
Quilts of course look awesome!

8:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahaha!! Oh, thank you for my Saturday morning chuckle. Too funny! Your mom sounds like a super lady and I agree, a nice soft smoke ring would be lovely :-)

8:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh, too cute. You sound like you had lots of fun.

Your quilts are A*W*E*S*O*M*E and I am shouting this many times over...WOW!

8:59 AM  
Blogger Diane Doran said...

Your mom obviously deserves a fabulous scarf. But ... what if one of those diapers just happens to fall in a dye bath, and gets wrapped for Christmas, and given to your mom before she opens the fabulous scarf? (Wink)Except that might encourage her.

9:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Diane D.'s idea if that happens I'd wear a blue one!

2:50 PM  
Blogger FemiKnitMafia said...

That is hilarious!!
And the quilts are stunning, as usual. Well done!

7:22 AM  
Blogger erin said...

LOL i love it! someday i'll have to share my dad's fashion sense. sadly he is beyond help

1:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home