Friday, January 16, 2009

Year in Review

I love those mosaics that everybody makes of their projects from the year. I've always really really really wanted to do one of those. I was determined that this would be THE YEAR. So I sat down on New Year's Day and started looking through my photos and listing out the stuff. It turns out, even though I feel pretty unproductive much of the time, I make a lot of stuff.
Lots of stuff that doesn't get blogged. Some stuff that doesn't even get photographed. Some stuff that sits in a bin for several months because I don't want to wear it until I get a pristine photo and get in on the blog. Ugh!

You know those people that blog every day and have those massive Flickr pages and everything is documented and perfect on Ravelry and they make it look so easy!? Like the ice skaters on the Olympics?! How do they do it?? It has taken me 2 weeks to get everything in order, for cryin out loud. But, I did it and I have my lovely mosaics (more than one because you can only do up to 36 photos per mosaic and I had more than that so I decided to categorize them) and I'm so happy!

And mostly I re-learned stuff that I already knew about myself but I did learn a new thing or two in the process and I made a couple of goals and I'm all about the lists and goals and so this is just great. And now that 2008 is organized I can finally move on to 2009! And thank heaven, because it's already January 16th! And I have stuff from 2009 finished that I need to start documenting too!

Here we go: The sweaters.
What I knew: Sweater knitting is my favorite knitting.
What I learned: If I would do slightly less flitting from one thing to another, I would have a sweater for every month. (Ok, maybe I did already know that, just in denial.)

Goal: A sweater a month for 2009 (Stacey made me do it. NaKniSweMoDo.)

2008 Sweater Mosaic, originally uploaded by emilyquilts.

Koigu turtleneck, February Lady, Chantal, Cable Cardigan, Beryl, Hey Teach, Bay Cardigan, and Capri, almost all of them on my Ravelry page, or ask me in the comments if you have a question. (I'm sorry, but linking individually to all 60 projects on this post might put me over the edge.)

Next Subject: Socks

What I already knew: I love knitting and wearing handknit socks.
What I learned: I finished more socks than I thought. And apparently I like green socks.

Goal: With a little more effort, I could make 12 pairs of socks a year.

Caveat: I tend to go on sock sprees. I either love knitting socks and it's all I do and I go through them like crazy, or I am not interested. If I sign up for a sock-a-long, it's the kiss of death for sock knitting for me for several months. If you notice me leaning toward a sock KAL, please say gently: "Lady, please back away from the sock knitalong." I thank you in advance.


2008 Sock Mosaic, originally uploaded by emilyquilts.

(I will devote a whole post to the socks and give details on the yarns asap.)

Next Subject: Scarves, Hats, Mitts, Etc.

What I alreay knew: I love these little projects. These are the delicious palette cleansers between sweaters. Also: I love my kids in cute hats, and they can't have too many.

What I learned: I really make a lot of this stuff. I could cut back.

2008 Hats Mitts Scarves and Misc. Mosaic, originally uploaded by emilyquilts.

Most of these are Raveled. If not, it probably is going to get its own post. Again, if you have any questions, ask me in the comments and I will answer in the comments.

Next up: Baby Stuff and Gifts

What I learned: I don't love making baby blankets. But I love the opportunity to be the maker of potentially a small human's favorite object. So it's worth it.

Goal: keep on keepin on.


2008 Baby and Gifts, originally uploaded by emilyquilts.

Next up: Bags
What I know: I love bags. I don't need any more bags. But I love them.
People love bags. Bags are good gifts. Bags Bags Bags.

2008 Bag Mosaic 1, originally uploaded by emilyquilts.

Most of these bags were for other people. Many of them I made from my dish towel totebag tutorial (see sidebar.) I will never stop making bags! BAGS!

Ok, now I get to the really pathetic department: Quilts.

What I already know: I used to be a quilter.

True confession: When I talk about quilts now, I feel like an imposter.

Goal: I need to make more quilts.


2008 Quilting Mosaic, originally uploaded by emilyquilts.

(Because really, the tree skirt doesn't even count as a quilt, but it is quilted, and I didn't have any other category for it.)

QUICK SUMMARY:

Make 12 sweaters per year.

Make 12 pairs of socks per year.

Ease up on the accessories already.

Gift knitting: good.

BAGS!

Make quilts.

Amen.


20 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Extremely impressive. Loved how your sweaters were blue-ish and your socks were green-ish. Congratulations on a productive year.

Paisleyapron (Ravelry)

7:13 PM  
Blogger Carmen Rose said...

Do what you love, don't get hung up on how many or "I should..." that just takes the fun out of it!

7:38 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

you made a lotta stuff! I love the colander quilt. and hats. great hats. but Carmen Rose is so right, follow your heart! thanks for a year of sharing!

9:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

DANG! You really know how to produce! Thanks for sharing. I do love your quilts. I think you should do more too.

9:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dang you really know your to produce! I do love your quilts. Yes, you should make more. Thanks for sharing.

9:02 PM  
Blogger rohanknitter said...

WOW that's alot of stuff~!! And all beautiful , too. I have yet to make myself one single sweater.

9:44 PM  
Blogger monica said...

You were very productive! I'm with you on the sock knitalongs. I can't seem to cast on for them when I have signed up to do it. Your bags are awesome!

10:47 PM  
Blogger momsue84 said...

Wow! You are one busy lady. Beautiful post with all your lovely projects. And talented, too! I have no doubt you will meet your goals.

6:28 AM  
Blogger Melody Johnson said...

What I know to be true:
Quilts make you stand and move around and are messy to make, with lots more decisions involved.
Knitting you can do whilst sitting with your feet up. Of course there are decisions involved in knitting but it's not like there is a judge at the end of the project, not counting yourself of course.
And of course with knitting there is a lot less of a storage problem. 100 sweaters take up less room by far than 100 quilts.

6:58 AM  
Blogger Diane Doran said...

Fellow MotherOfThree, there are only so many hours in the day. Knitting: portable, easier to work on at name-that-children's-activity. Quilting: not so much.

You'll always be a quilting rock star in my book!

12:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that was quite alot of FOs for a year! I love the baby blanket with the heart motif. Is that pattern available anywhere? I couldn't find it on Ravelry. TIA for any info on it.

3:24 PM  
Blogger Vicky aka Stichr said...

I have made a decision since reading this post....I will no longer wish I could knit. I will just gaze raptly upon the wonders of other peoples knitting and tell my crochet hook I love it. And stick to my quilting. But something you left out....any dyeing of yarn done in 2008??

6:46 PM  
Blogger Kay said...

In the words of Madonna, it's like a prayer.

Loved this post; thanks for the huge effort it must have been.

Love,
Don't Know Nothin' Bout Mosaics in NYC

11:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a great deal accomplished for one small year - and yes, please remember to include all the beautiful yarn you dyed - So a big well done you!

Your quilts are beautiful! Even more so in person than on the blog. You ARE an amazing quilter!!!

Sending hugs!

12:01 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

4:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You rocked this year. That's a lot of handmade goodness!

4:55 PM  
Blogger Vicki said...

You made a lot of lovely things

7:31 PM  
Blogger Jeri is said...

Now I'm depressed! If I accomplish 1/2 of what you did - just in the quilting alone, I'd be happy! Seriously, you just whip stuff out! How do you do it?

8:54 PM  
Blogger Green Kitchen said...

An impressive post! I had no idea that one person could knit that much in a year. It gives me hope.

2:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

a quilt impostor? no way! I love your quilts. your flower quilts are incredible.

1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home