Monday, January 26, 2009

Beautiful Week

Hello friends!

After those first couple busy documenting-and-mosaic-making weeks of January, I was ready to take on a nice, big project. Last week I wanted to spend some serious time with the television, soaking in everything I could about the inauguation. I wanted a project that would be meaningful to me, because you know how you look at something and remember what you were doing when you made it?

A momentous occasion calls for momentous project. Does that sound silly? Well, it's how I felt. I had a few (meaning: a lot of) sweaters on the needles but I didn't really want to make a sweater that somebody would outgrow in a year, or that would be out of style in a few years and be relegated to the bottom of the stack.


I wanted something that I would look at every day for the rest of my life. Is that too much to ask?!


Solution: the quilt I started last year. The great thing about it is that, since it's for my bed, the
"look at it everyday for the rest of my life and remember what I was doing" potential is there. And as an added bonus: it's red white and blue! Perfect!



I sewed many blocks while watching every last minute of inauguration day, from the long parade of V.I.P.s decked in hats and scarves, to the glorious entertainment, to the poem and speech that I have read and re-read, and found more and more meaning in every time. To the parade, the commentary, and every last ball.

I have many blocks now.


Here it is pinned up to my design wall and it's only 2/3 done. I have a little over 100 blocks and I need 144. I haven't made a king size quilt before and I'm here to tell you, it's big.


Thank you for all your comments on my 2008 production. You are all so sweet to me. It didn't seem like all that much at the time.
For those of you worried about me getting caught up in rules-don't worry! I have already cast on 3 new sweaters this month! I don't worry about following self imposed rules, but it is fun to make them.
And lastly, LaDonna, I added that baby blanket to my Ravelry projects page, so the pattern information is there now. Thanks for asking!
New sweaters up next. Stay warm!

8 Comments:

Blogger Melody Johnson said...

I know someone in Algonquin that will quilt that for you when you are finished. I would not think twice about sending it out. Geesh, king size! OMG!

6:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh that is sooo beautiful- but I only have a queen- shopping for a bigger bed NOW! :-)

6:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a momentous project for such a momentous occasion. That was a brilliant idea. And it is beautiful just as was The Day!

GK

10:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great quilt, Em. It will be special to have greater meaning attached to the making of it.

3:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that quilt is quite an undertaking...I am still trying to finish a single-bed-sized one : )

9:14 PM  
Blogger Indigo Blue said...

Your quilt looks fantastic, lovely fabrics. 144 blocks, that is alot of cutting and stitching. I have just cut a pile of fabric into strips and that is as far as I have got so far!

4:39 PM  
Blogger JoYsCloset said...

Beautiful!
this entry totally inspired me to do something too!!!

Lovely~~

9:34 AM  
Anonymous retalhos de cetim said...

This is a great post, thanks for writing it.

6:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home