Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Sweater Talk

I mentioned that I had joined the Ravelry Group NaKniSweMoDo. (Yes, I have to concentrate and sound that out every time I type it.) That's National Knit a Sweater a Month Dodecathon.

Some people expressed concern that I follow my heart and knit what I want, which I fully intend to do! Knitting is a FUN hobby, and I intend to keep it fun. I was just organizing my thoughts. I mean, if I finished 8 sweaters last year, then I probably started 16 or 20. I have a LOT of half-finished projects lying around here and I'd like to clean that up a bit. At least 4 out of those 12 sweaters that I intend to finish this year are just sweaters that are nearly done already from last year. I would like to have fewer "loose ends" around here, so to speak. It would make me feel better.

That being said:

I cast on 3 sweaters already in January! Whoo hoo!

Let's get to the details.
First up: I started this Debbie Bliss cable cardigan sleeve (Cable Jacket with Hood from Debbie Bliss Number Four) last July, and after 6 months of staring me in the face, I decided it was time to go. The cable was just too complicated for me to do in small bursts of knitting and the lack of a chart made my head want to explode.
I still love the sweater and maybe I'll get to it someday when I'm not knitting and helping with 3rd grade homework at the same time. But, the yarn--Black Water Abbey Worsted in Forest-- was still whispering to me so I searched for a beautiful cable cardigan with easy-to-memorize cables.
Voila! Cassidy. The back is almost done. Love. Lots of cables make it look more complicated than it is. And if there is anyone here who still uses a cable needle then please, come over for coffee tomorrow morning and I will show you how easy it is to kiss that annoying cable needle goodbye. Otherwise, I am sure you could find a video on the web. It really makes it so much more enjoyable.

Next up: the Baby Suprise Jacket for Sophie. My poor deprived baby girl has only hand-me-down-handknits. Never a sweater especially just for her. She loves this one and wants one like it. I saw this gigantic ball of sock yarn and thought it might be a cute BSJ. (Actually - Girl SJ. I'm using the pattern for the Adult Suprise Jacket and sizing it down for a four year old.)


However. Can't decide if I love it or hate it. Usually that means I hate it but I'm not willing to give up the dream so I plow ahead anyway. Girlfriends say "love", so I'm keepin' on keepin' on. For now. Sorry about the crap cloudy day photo but I'm not sure it looks all that better in real life, anyway.

And lastly, this little nugget. I need a baby sweater for a super-special kindergarden teacher. Cast on Sunday night and by Monday morning it looked like this:

By Wednesday morning it looked like this:

Those babies, they're so dang tiny! Love that! This pattern is the Feather and Fan Baby Sweater from 101 Designer One-Skein Wonders. Yarn: Sophie's Toes (one skein) in Crimson. I'm hoping to find little heart buttons. I'm also hoping to finish it tonight-block it tomorrow-photograph it on Friday-and gift it on Saturday. I've got 2 episodes of 24 tivo'd up so that should be no problem.
HOWEVER.

You might have noticed that I started this post by talking about NaKniSweMoDo. The only sweater above that has the potential to be finished in January is the baby sweater and that won't count. This would be one of those months that I should take the opportunity to finish one of those from last year that just needs a little tweaking.
Anybody remember this? I started this last January. The Koigu turtleneck, modeled after my favorite tee shirt. I love it, but the neckline doesn't love me. I have tried it as crew neck and as turtleneck, and I'm not satisfied with either one. I'm currently thinking it needs to be cardiganized.
It would only take a day or two to rip off the turtleneck, steek it and knit some bands. And it would be perfect to wear right now.
Then there's the Chic Lace Hoodie (hold the hood). I love it, but the wide ribbing at the bottom doesn't love me. I really should have known better. I tried to block it out straight, but it is Cotton Ease and that didn't work.
I need to finish the sleeves and rip off the bottom ribbing and knit it longer in stockinette with just a one inch ribbing that doesn't pull in. Then button bands, and a collar....ok, so this one needs about a week's worth of work.
There's also Capri, which I finished but I hate button band. It is very sloppy and it really needs more than the one button, because it doesn't hang right. (The original sweater has big snaps, which I wasn't into, but I might revisit that idea). Otherwise, it is very cute.
And lastly, Hey Teach! Another one completely finished, but slightly wrong. It is just 2 inches too short. I need to take off the front bands, cut above the ribbing and unravel, pick up and knit down 2 inches and re-do the rib and front bands. Not really a big deal, but it's just hard to get started.


Well, that's it for the January edition of Sweater Talk. Anybody care to cast a vote on which one to finish up?

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! I knew I liked you. You may possibly be almost as crazy as I am. I have so many sweaters that are about half done. I joined that NaNo........whatever too. Maybe it will work!

9:52 PM  
Blogger momsue84 said...

I am in awe of your knitting skills and prodigious output. Wow! Lovely, lovely sweaters.

6:47 AM  
Blogger Melody Johnson said...

O Emily, I am o-v-e-r-whelmed with your output. Eeek. And I am one that uses a cable needle still. What am I missing??
I love love love the all-cables sweater. And the baby surprise will be soooo wonderful.
Could you do a blog on your favorite yarns, and why?

6:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really think the koigu/ST should be finished and gifted!

7:41 AM  
Blogger LindaCO said...

Hi there, I'm an occasional visitor, and just wanted to note how impressed I am by the volume of wonderful garments you produce. Wow!

Indeed, if you feel motivated to share details of cardigan-izing that Koigu turtleneck, I'd be all ears/eyes/whatever.

10:38 AM  
Blogger Guinifer said...

Heh, Sweatah Tawk. I'm picturing Mike Myers in his big wig-big glasses yenta character.

11:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are one busy knitter huh? I am just teaching myself how to do very simple cables-you can see the ok progress on my brand new blog : )-so I am super impressed at what you have done with all those twists on your cardis/jumpers.

12:47 PM  
Blogger FunkyC said...

(in a quiet, behind-the-hand whisper) Just how much periwinkle Cotton Ease do you have stashed?

All the projects are beautiful. I love the way the koigu turtleneck knitted up. It'll be a great cardi.

And I like the colors in the BSJ. Are you not liking the way they stripe?

1:58 PM  
Blogger Angie said...

Do you have much experience with this ripping/re-doing thing? I just finished my Mr. Greenjeans and it is too long and the single button is in the wrong place. I just blocked it, can I take the band off and rip the bottom back and then re-knit the bands without it looking all stupid? Please advise. amarshall102ATgmailDOTcom (I know blogger doesn't pass on e-mail addys)

2:50 PM  
Blogger prairievisiondesign : handmade said...

Emily, holler when one of those sweaters is on etsy. I wear a Medium. ;)

Here is the cookie recipe: http://pvdhandmade.blogspot.com/2008/01/cookies-for-soul.html

8:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home